HEAVY EQUIPMENT OPERATOR – HEAVY CIVIL
On Site-Southern Utah & Surrounding Areas
Type of Job
About the job
RESPONSIBILITIES and DUTIES:
Including but not limited to the list below.
• Follow safety rules, regulations, guidelines, policies, and site-specific safety plans when performing
• Ability to proficiently operate three or more pieces of equipment such as Loader, Backhoe,
Trackhoe, Articulated Truck, Scraper, Motor Grader, Bulldozer, Roller, Skid Steer, with or without
GPS in a manner to prepare the jobsite to meet the required grades.
• Operate equipment safely and efficiently, while producing high quality work.
• Locate utilities and other buried lines or structures prior to digging.
• Inspect equipment and general work area prior to the start of any job.
• Perform routine inspection and preventative maintenance on assigned equipment and operate
equipment without damaging it.
• Operate heavy construction equipment to load, move, level, and grade dirt, rocks, or other materials
in a safe and proficient manner, meeting production goals.
• Understanding of sloping, banking, backfilling, and stockpiling.
• Understanding of soil types and how they affect the work being performed.
• Ensures a sound understanding of the issues involving ground disturbance.
• Knowledge of construction stakes and grades, and Blue Stakes laws and regulations.
• Maintain consistent communication among field crew members by use of hand signals or radio, to
align and position heavy equipment properly.
• Maintain the flow of work under minimal supervision.
• Ensure equipment is safely and securely stored.
• Assist Construction Laborers with labor duties.
• Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned by supervisors
QUALIFICATIONS and SKILLS:
• High School Diploma or GED preferred. Any vocational training is strongly desired.
• Those with an education and/or work-related credential from a secondary or post-secondary
educational system will be given preferred interview status (Precision Exams, NOCTE, etc.).
• A minimum of 3 years of heavy equipment operator experience with multiple types of equipment,
or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Strong knowledge regarding the operation, safety, and maintenance of equipment being used.
• Ability to safely operate equipment around utilities, field personnel, structures, property, etc.
• Ability to read and understand drawings, specifications, safety, and quality standards, and
effectively utilizing all tools and equipment relevant to the work.
• Ability to detect unsafe or hazardous conditions of equipment and work environment.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
• Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation to get to and from work.
• Able and willing to work long hours including day, night, weekend shifts as needed, and work
outside of normal hours.
• Able to walk, lift, reach, stoop, stand, grasp, balance, climb, kneel, crouch, and lift up to 50 pounds
• Able to work in outside environments being subjected to weather changes, noise, vibrations, and job
• Good hand to eye coordination.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision,
peripheral vision, and depth perception.
Whitaker Construction offers an exceptional benefit package including:
Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP). Employees earn shares in the company – All employees have ownership in the company and its success
Health, Dental, Vision, Life, Short Term Disability, Supplemental Insurance
401 K and Match
Paid Personal Days
Quarterly Incentive Program (profit sharing)
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Reasonable Accommodation Statement
The ADA defines “reasonable accommodation” as a change or adjustment to a job or work
environment that allows a qualified individual with a disability to satisfactorily perform the essential
functions of a particular job, and does not cause an undue hardship for the employer.
Whitaker Construction is an “equal opportunity employer.” Whitaker will not discriminate and will
take “affirmative action” measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment,
advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other
conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, creed, color,
national origin, or sex.
Women and minorities are encouraged to apply
St. George, UT, USA