GPS TECHNICIAN – CONSTRUCTION LAYOUT FIELD ENGINEER
On Site-Northern Utah
Type of Job
About the job
RESPONSIBILITIES and DUTIES:
Including but not limited to the list below.
• Creates, manages, and maintains the survey control network, project layout and construction data.
• Establishes and maintains standardized machine control/survey 3D models and construction survey
data for project level operations.
• Manages survey equipment resources, including routine verifications and annual calibrations.
• Coordinates and schedules work of the department with Construction Managers and
Superintendents on a daily/weekly basis.
• Performs calculations and designs for alignments, drainage, structures, and roadway modeling.
• Create machine and data collector files for projects.
• Perform and assist with Quality Control on data calculated.
• Provide field survey and layouts in an accurate and timely manner.
• Find potential issues ahead of time and be able to problem solve.
• Attention to detail and accuracy.
• Must promote a culture of safety and awareness by practicing and enforcing safe work procedures.
• Be willing to teach and train new employees within the surveying department.
• Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned by supervisors.
QUALIFICATIONS and SKILLS:
• High School Diploma or GED preferred. This position is not an entry level job and requires
demonstrable experience as a Survey Instrument Specialist.
• Those with an education and/or work-related credential from a secondary or post-secondary
educational system will be given preferred interview status (Precision Exams, NOCTE, etc.).
• A minimum of 5 years of GPS and construction field layout or equivalent combination of education
and experience working on Heavy Civil Construction projects.
• Familiar with a wide variety of Heavy Highway and Survey practices and principles.
• Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
• Fluent knowledge of Civil 3D, Trimble Business Center, AutoCAD, and 3D Machine Control.
• Familiar with a variety of the field’s concepts, practices, and procedures.
• Relies on limited experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
• Possess strong problem-solving abilities to address and solve survey challenges associated with
• Ability to read and interpret construction drawings and specifications and translate into survey data
for layout in the field.
• Strong attention to detail with the ability to recognize discrepancies.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
• Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation to get to and from work.
• Able and willing to work long hours including day, night, weekend shifts as needed, and work
outside of normal hours.
• Able to walk, lift, reach, stoop, stand, grasp, balance, climb, kneel, crouch, and lift up to 50 pounds
• Able to work in outside environments being subjected to weather changes, noise, vibrations, and job
• Able to climb on and off heavy mobile equipment safely.
• Maintain constant alertness to the multiple concurrent activities of the construction site, including
the activities of other employees and contractors, and the operation of equipment.
Whitaker Construction offers an exceptional benefit package including:
Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP). Employees earn shares in the company – All employees have ownership in the company and its success
Health, Dental, Vision, Life, Short Term Disability, Supplemental Insurance
401 K and Match
Paid Personal Days
Quarterly Incentive Program (profit sharing)
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Reasonable Accommodation Statement
The ADA defines “reasonable accommodation” as a change or adjustment to a job or work
environment that allows a qualified individual with a disability to satisfactorily perform the essential
functions of a particular job, and does not cause an undue hardship for the employer.
Whitaker Construction is an “equal opportunity employer.” Whitaker will not discriminate and will
take “affirmative action” measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment,
advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other
conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, creed, color,
national origin, or sex.
Women and minorities are encouraged to apply
Midvale, UT, USA